Denodo Platform Features
Following are some highlights of Denodo's powerful feature set. The Platform's features can be reviewed in more detail in the Technology Section. Using Denodo Platform organizations can do the following:
- Quickly set up wrappers (connectors) to various data repositories through an extensive library of pre-built wrappers. The library of wrappers includes those for relational databases (JDBC and ODBC), MDX for data warehouses, XML (with or without DTD, XMLSchema), Web Services (SOAP or REST), delimited files, websites, RSS, ATOM, JSON, LDAP, PDF and Office Documents, corporate search engines (e.g. Google Search) and e-mail servers (e.g. POP3 or Microsoft Exchange). The advanced graphics editor allows the user to design or customize wrappers, create base views from extracted data with drag-and-drop actions.
- Easily develop the mechanisms for Web process automation for even complex websites. Denodo's graphics editor can be used to teach the system to navigate any website efficiently through example based learning. This allows you to use the Web both as a data source (e.g. product pricing information extracted from competitor websites) and as a platform to interact with third-party data sources (e.g. to automate operations with a B2B partner). The system seamlessly handles authentication, forms, pop-ups, as well as complex information parsing such as the hidden data behind the Web forms.
- Enable the data stewards to create new data relationships and associated services by using a visual drag and drop toolkit. Denodo's extended relational model allows for seamless data federation between relational, hierarchical-like (such as the XML model or the SOAP data model) and unstructured formats. The resulting virtual data views provide read, insertion and update (CRUD) capabilities on write-capable repositories. As a result, business applications that consume the composite views can access them as if they were in a local database. Denodo Data Services Platform also includes full data lineage features so you can always graphically trace where virtual data comes from and how it is combined and transformed
- Flexibly expose composite views to the organization's ecosystem of business applications. Various business applications such as reporting tools, scorecard generators or contact management tools can access Denodo's data virtualization and data federation solution through the use of JDBC or ODBC drivers, as a Web Service (SOAP or REST) which can be deployed and published in any application server, as a RSS feed, or by using the Denodo Java API for advanced data and metadata processing.
- Integration with JAVA-based and Microsoft portal servers is also supported out-of-the-box. Create Java Portlets or .NET Web Parts or OpenAjax widgets to visualize integrated data by simply using point and click interfaces.
The Denodo Platform is designed for enterprise class operating requirements. Some of the features for the seamless integration within highly secure and robust enterprise IT environments include:
- High performance provided through set of optimization and efficiency techniques for combining structured and unstructured data in a homogeneous way. This includes Query Delegation for delegating query processing to sources, Operator Strategy Dynamic Selection to choose the most efficient operator strategy for specific views, Asynchronous Statement Execution and Parallel Access to maximize performance and Cache System to minimize the time to return information from slow repositories;
- Promotes robustness through the use of Swapping of intermediate results (generated during the execution process of views or queries) to disk in order to avoid memory overflows. The Denodo Platform enhances robustness through the use of XA and Transactional Catalog to store data and metadata about views, the relationships among them and the security access privileges for users;
- Full ability to coordinate distributed transactions using the 2PC protocol.
- Support of high availability through an architecture designed to work with an external load-balancing system to distribute the workload between several Denodo Platform servers. The load-balancing system detects when a Denodo Platform server is not responding in order to redistribute the workload between the remaining servers until the failed server is restored;
- Incorporates advanced systems management features, based on the JMX and WS-Management standards that provide monitoring and control in a request-response or a message-based approach; this information can be consumed by tools such as Nagios, HP OpenView or IBM Tivoli; and
- Provides secure communications to and from the system, among its internal modules and servers by encrypting and securing the communication through the use of LDAP for user authentication. It supports standards such as HTTP, HTTPS, WSS and LDAP both for data source access and for accesses between the tool and other applications of the enterprise.