Indiana University (IU) is a multi-campus public university system in the state of Indiana that has a combined student body of more than 110,000 and more than 20,000 faculty and staff. They had recently begun a Decision Support Initiative (DSI), to address current and future business challenges, embrace change, and provide a robust analytics and data architecture.
- Through this initiative, IU wanted to be inventive about analyzing data elements such as student credit hour trends and staffing behavior.
- But IU business logic existed in multiple silos within the IU information system, making it difficult to combine relevant data sets to present meaningful information to stakeholders.
- The longer cycle time for information access, combined with the lack of a robust data security solution, created the need for a centralized business layer.
- IU created a logical data warehouse (LDW) using the Denodo Platform, which facilitated data integration, delivery, presentation, and governance.
- The Denodo Platform serves as the central repository for metadata, security, and business logic.
- The Denodo Platform is also being used for more non-traditional applications, including sourcing data from the cloud, which must be accomplished via APIs.
Supported by the Denodo Platform, the DSI:
- Enables all University schools to gauge and assess fiscal trends and academic unit health, facilitating improved decision-making.
- Helps University Human Resources identify trends in employee metrics and behavior in support of strategic staffing initiatives.
- Simplifies complex system data into useful, self-service decision-support tools.
Download the document to see the full case study and how Denodo data virtualization technology helped this university.