The Denodo Data Virtualization Platform is Now Certified on the Hortonworks Data Platform 2.1
Denodo enhances its data source connectivity offering with certified support for Hortonworks Data Platform, a leader in Apache Hadoop for the Enterprise. Together Denodo Data Virtualization and Hortonworks will help customers to achieve the maximum benefits of their Big Data initiatives.
Denodo Data Virtualization offers a data abstraction layer over Hadoop, NoSQL and traditional enterprise repositories, allowing them to coexist seamlessly, avoiding IT professionals being afraid of creating “yet another silo” when deploying Big Data solutions. Traditional reporting tools can execute reports through the Denodo Data Virtualization layer with combined data coming from Hadoop, NoSQL and enterprise repositories using SQL queries. Data Virtualization enables therefore an evolutionary adoption of Big Data in the Enterprise.
Denodo Data Virtualization allows creating “virtual data marts”, i.e. a collection of virtual views, with information scattered across data warehouses, operational systems (including the Cloud), Hadoop and enterprise repositories. Abstracting data consumers of this complexity in formats, access methods and protocols through Denodo Data Virtualization is crucial to achieve the maximum benefit of Big Data initiatives.
What business challenges are solved?
Faster time to Insights
With Denodo Data Virtualization the solution is a matter of days/weeks. No need to learn complex query languages. Your business users will be able to benefit from combined reports with better insights with data coming both from traditional BI repositories and Hadoop.
Better Performance and Scalability
Denodo combines real-time query optimization techniques and intelligent caching to provide a high throughput architecture, making the most of Big Data computing platforms. Queries are delegated to Hadoop whenever possible to achieve the highest performance.
With Data Virtualization enabled Hortonworks users will be able to support more sources (e.g. new NoSQL repositories) and expose data to more consumers (e.g through RESTful), enhancing the overall ROA (Return on Assets) of your BI solution.
Features and Benefits of the Combined Solution
- Common Business Canonical model defined in the Data Virtualization layer.
- Query federation over Hadoop Hortonworks and other repositories with high-performance.
- Real-time and cached access.
- A pure relational model is exposed to the consuming applications that can get access to Denodo via SQL queries (JDBC/ODBC, ADO.NET, SOAP WS, RESTful WS, Widgets).
- Denodo integration with Hadoop Hortonworks comprises:
- Denodo Map/Reduce Connector for execution of MapReduce, YARN, PIG or Hadoop Streaming tasks. Long running jobs are executed asynchronously from an SSH connector, results are later read from HDFS files.
- Denodo Hive connector.
- Denodo HBase connector.
- Denodo HDFS/WebHDFS connector: allows access to sequence files, maps files, key/value files and Avro files.
- Kerberos authentication.
Hortonworks Certified Technology Program simplifies big data planning by providing pre-built and validated integrations between leading enterprise technologies as Denodo and Hortonworks Data Platform (HDP), the industry’s only 100% open source Big Data platform built on Apache Hadoop.
The Denodo Platform has achieved certification for the following Hadoop features, all of them both for Kerberos-secured and non-secured environments:
- Apache Hive
- Apache Avro
- Hadoop MapReduce
- Apache HBase
- HDFS (Hadoop Distributed File System)
Hive is supported via the Apache Hive JDBC driver, and Avro, MapReduce, HBase and HDFS via the DenodoLabs-made custom wrappers available at the support site.