The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), a cabinet department of the United States federal government, was established to increase access to affordable housing, strengthen communities through economic development, fight housing discrimination, and tackle homelessness. The Office of Inspector General (OIG) is a statutorily created independent entity whose mission is to detect and deter fraud, waste, and abuse, and promote the economy, efficiency, and effectiveness of HUD operations. It accomplishes this by conducting and supervising audits, investigations, and inspections relating to HUD programs and operations.
- The OIG deals with petabytes of data for fraud analysis and audit. ETL processes are too expensive to maintain and too slow to deliver timely information to business users.
- The OIG needed a unified view of various information systems along with industry trends, for proactive fraud detection and prevention.
- They also needed to deliver standardized, timely, and comprehensive information to data consumers.
- The Denodo Platform combines data about people, banks, real estate, and loan companies, enabling the OIG to create a fraud score based on data anomaly severity and frequency.
- The Denodo Platform helps publish RESTful views of these fraud scores for auditors who can drill down based on fraud severity.
- The Denodo Platform also feeds unified data into predictive analytics systems that can correlate the data with industry trends for better fraud detection.
- Speed to market – Business stakeholders can make timely decisions with real-time information.
- TCO reduction – The need for 30 to 40 people to develop the integration platform has been reduced to only 1 to 2 people with the Denodo Platform.
- Fraud prevention – For any possible fraudulent activity, auditors or business users can easily perform a drilled down analysis and take corrective measures.
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Office of Inspector General uses Denodo to increase speed and efficiency in data acquisition.